Sunday, July 28, 2002

WYD Update


I'm back from the Papal Mass at Downsview park in 'Toronto.

I left my hotel room at 5:30 am and took a shuttle down to the park. I don't think I was quite prepared for what i was going to see. It rained pretty badly last night and when I got there, the Park looked like a refugee camp. It was legitimate refugee, squalor conditions, but no one seemeed to mind though. I took some pictures which should be up here soon. I also took some personal ones which should be up soon.

This morning started off very frustrating. I had a place in the section that was closest to the Pope but I couldn't get there becuase of jams at all the pathways. And then I got stuck for an hour at this junction becuase they were clearing the way for the popemobile which they were expecting in a couple of hours. By doing this they prevented many who were getting food for their groups to be able to get to their groups. it was a nightmare, so much so that tempers flared and I heard someone use a phrase that I loved, he said, "the organizers must have had a cerebral meltdown." From what I understand, it is always like this. After 45 minutes of beind stuck I decided to brave my way back to open space and eventually I made it. I then caught the media shuttle which was supposed to take me backstage, but then the Papal helicopter was arriving and all vehicles were supposed to stop and so the shuttle dropped me off about half a mile and so it was another hike. It started raining really bad and so I went in a gate that led to a tent where disabled pilgrims had slept. Fortunately it was right by the landing pad and I was able to get a nice shot of the papal helicopter landing.

After that, I hiked around to the backstage place but we weren't allowed access to anything or place and so I hiked back to the main area. It really was hiking, the park is huge.

I was pretty miserable after that, I did get to see the Pope drive by but I was sickened by the state of things by that time. After a cup of coffee and two cranberry muffins, i was re-energized and I went back out.

The sun had come out and it was beautiful. I really admired the pilgrims who braved the conditions without pouting, unlike me. it was funny to note that in the same group of pilgrims, some were following along with mass, others were doing other things and some where sleeping. Also i noted that after the Pope arrived, there was a steady stream of people leaving as there was a steacy stream of people arriving. i think they expected 1-2 million people here. The vigil was supposed to have had about 400,000 at the vigil.

Overall it was a good experience. I don't think I got all I could have out of it, maybe because I was working but also because I am sensitive to squalor-like conditions and all that mud. I was fortunate to catch the media bus back, so I beat the rush.

I wasn't at the vigil last nite only because I had to be there this morning. I watched it on TV and thought that it went very well.

Well that was World Youth Day. I am undecided as to whether I'd be interested in going to Cologne 2005, where the next WYD will be held. I probably won't be staff there and that makes it less appealing. For one thing, the Germans are prompt and plan meticulously, so that may be worth going to just to watch the Germans run the show. Another funny note is that it is my understanding that the German bishops announced that the next WYD would be in Germany before the Vatican announced it, or even acknowledged, so Cologne 2005 is not official. Anyway, peace and love ya'll, I'm going to find some food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home