Thursday, August 22, 2002

Emily Stimpson of HMS Blog has a post on Rod Dreher's WSJ on the Pope and Bishops. Quite frankly, I haven't followed the story and I generally skip those posts. But something she said caught my eye, it was this:

I don’t know if Rod’s reactions are right or not. Maybe God wants him to use his pen as a means of stirring up the Vatican to more direct and swift action. On the other hand, maybe the Pope is handling the crisis in a far wiser way than we, with our limited human understanding, can see.

Emphases mine. The bolded phrase is really what interests me. She could be saying that the Pope's actions are being used for the good even in a way that neither he nor us ordinary folk are aware of . Or (and it sounds like this is what she's saying) that the Pope has some sort of divine wisdom that we as ordinary people don't have and he is handling the crisis with a hidden wisdom inaccessible to us. The Pope is truly a great man, but Popes are not God and I don't think Catholic orthodoxy requires that one ascribe wisdom to every action of a Pope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home