Wednesday, August 28, 2002

Flos Carmeli discusses questions on Catholic Fiction. Being that it is 2 am in Indiana and I haven't slept much all day, I can't say that I read carefully everything that he had to say. I did read the post he has after this one on Fr. Andrew Greely's fiction, which he deplored.

I don't think I like the term "Catholic fiction" only because it seems to carry so much baggage with it. I think if the term is going to be used it should mean, " a piece of fiction centered around Catholic themes." I am of the opinion that orthodoxy should not be the measuring rod of the quality of the work, rather the writing and story itself. The term should signify a broad genre and embrace the breadth of the experiences that Catholics, who wish to write about their faith, go through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home