Wednesday, October 09, 2002

Tim Drake's last blog reflects on blogging and its negatives. As usual, I gave the post a cursory read (I can't read things too closely, I am too lazy), and I don't necessarily agree with him in much of what he said. I think he made the right choice for himself but I think that people blog for all different reasons and it is up to them to determine if their blogs are living up to their internal mission statements.

TD does have some astute commens about St. Blogs. Truth is I became disillusioned with St. Blogs a long while back and as a result I only read a handful of blogs daily, not many, unless I am bored and have nothing to do. I don't think St. Blogs is the most welcoming or nicest place on the web and I suspect that many would consider that a virtue.

At first, like many other bloggers, I was most interested in unique visitors, but early on I went from a high number to a relatively low number. That low number, coupled with the tone of many in St. Blogs made me reconsider the whole issue of blogging, but then I realized that I really did not care how many people were interested in what I had to say, as long as even just five people were interested, I enjoyed exposing my mind for these five. After I made that decision, I noticed that the type of posts I did changed and that numbers went up.

Victor Lams does note that people get 5month blogging burn out. I think that is true. However, I think burn out comes when there is pressure on you to engage an audience and satisify your visitors on a daily basis. If one blogs without the pressure and just lets go, I think one can avoid the burn out. These days, if I have stuff to say, I say it and when I don't, I don't. I also try to post things of interest to me and not necessarily of interest to a particular audience,

Unlike Tim Drake, I do think that blogging is about one's self and not an "art form." My favorite blogs are the ones that tend to give little snippets into a persons mind. I love to know what people are thinking about any and everything. For instance, I am working on a novel (which is blossoning in my mind but not on paper yet . . .) and I need to know what and how certain people think so that I can develop certain characters. Blogs are indispensible that way. Anyway, I ramble, but that's what I do best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home