Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I don't have much to say about the Republican convention because . . . I've barely watched it. I have to say that I don't think it's all "happening" for them:

People are TV fatigued from the Olympics

The RNC is not the only game in town, even the Networks are going up against it with major stuff like Last Comic Standing and music awards, baseball, and more.

I did not feel the energy going into the convention, I think the Olympics drained all that out

The speeches so far have been a drag-I did not see McCain, Gulliani's was unbearable, I popped in and out and finally I canned the whole thing and opted for comedy.

Arnold's was . . .uninspiring for me (I suppose he has appeal to people). The Bush twins were not in their element, it was clear that they were trying to mimic the Kerry girls, even offering up a hamster reference. Laura Bush's talk was a dud. Chris Matthews had once said there was a Stepford Wives quality to her. That may be a bit harsh, but there is something "dollish" about her that doesn't seem real. When she referred to her parents in law, her wave to them was a robotic political spouse wave-actually a touch freaky. But again, I'm not an open minded independent undecided voter and I don't know what they think.

I though Teresa Heinz Kerry was low key but powerful. I felt like she connected. I felt like we were getting a real person. Laura Bush simple gave a standard stump speech for her husband, but Teresa talked from the heart and the feedback I got the next day was tremendous.

The other thing is that the set is horrid. What on earth was that background behind Laura? It was awful. Also with Arnold, McCain and Gulliani, the backgrounds were unusual. It was clear that whoever designed the set did not have an eye for both the big picture and the TV picture. The backgrounds for the guys have been a solid red or blue, which gives the whole convention an 80s retro look. The stage does look somewhat 80s. The DNC convention was set up by Hollywooders and it showed. I personally was expecting to be wowed by the RNC set, but I feel it is something of a semi-pro job.

Anyway, I'm glad this is going on and will be over soon and then we can begin to focus on the real deal, getting Kerry elected. 60 more days of George Bush: boy, it's been a long four years.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rooms for rent in maryland

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home