Thursday, November 18, 2004

On Bishops' Conference and Stuff

I've been watching some late night coverage of the Bishops conference on EWTN. I don't watch EWTN. I have watched some Bishops coverage in past years, but not in the past three years.

A quick note about EWTN. Years ago, I used to watch the Jeff Cavins show "Life on the Rock." It was cheesy, but it was a good effort and those types of shows are cheesy by default. Now fast forward, I barely watch EWTN, but every now and then when the sci-fi channel is in commercials I sneak up a couple slots and I catch Life on the Rock and it is one of the Mother Anglica brothers now hosting it.

I don't know whose idea it was, but the brother priest has decimated that show. It's like he spends the whole show talking. The young adults, who Cavins had everywhere, giving it a young adult feel, are now condemned and relegated to the sides and you barely see them. There clearly has been a clericalization of the show to de-emphasize the lay and accentuate the clerics. And what's with the Friar Cam, no one can tell me they think it is cool. Like I said, there is a built in cheesiness to these shows, but Friar Cam? You've got to be kiddin'.

Anyway, back to the Bishops coverage. I note that this time they have Fr Stravinskas. He clearly has upgraded the commentary. There was some guy who they had last year who was a disaster. I worked at the USCCB then and it was clear that this guy had no idea what he was talking about. Stravinskas is a veteran of these Bishops meetings, so his insights are in a different ball park, definitely better quality. I get nauseated looking at EWTN for more that twenty seconds, but I find his commentary interesting. As for Arroyo . . . here's my theory. Years ago, he was Mother Angelica's guest on her live show and she chewed him out for doing a news story that wasn't from their persepctive. Well guess what, since then, objectivity, if there ever was, went flying out the window and the news operation became propaganda. It was always propagandish, but it presently is code red propaganda.

I've only been watching the conference a few minutes here and there, so I have no idea what's been going on. Apparently, there have been a couple of fireworks such as the surprise election of Bishop Trautman to liturgy. Basically, the conservatives were rejected and the liberal installed. I shurg my shoulders in utter apathy.

One interesting thing I heard with Arroyo and Stravinskas was the Monday night Bishops' Mass. The Mass was supposed to be a something of a celebration of the 25th anniversary of the US Bishops' document "Brothers and Sisters to Us" which was a letter about racism. The Mass was supposed to have an African American flavoring to it. Working in the office that dealth with African American issues, we were involved in initiating the idea and then, along with Bishop Bennett, we had to sell it to the Bishops' administrative committee, which determines the agenda for the conferences. That was one interesting day because the probability of success was anywhere from 20%-50%. It had never been done before. If I recall, as soon as Bishop Bennett made the presentation to the Bishops, Cardinal McCarrick was all over it like hot sauce on chicken wings. He noted that DC has a lot of great choirs, which it does, and he would be happy to host it. There didn't seem to be much resistance, nor was anyone bounding off the roof tops. Against some odds, the Mass was approved.

I had completely forgotten about the Mass because I would have really wanted to watch it. Being part of the very early discussions, it was going to be a herculian task to say the least. From what I recall, a committee of African American Catholics was put together to plan different aspects of the Mass. So how did it go? I have no idea. From what I gather with Arroyo and Stravinskas, they didn't like it and Stravinskas mentioned that many Bishops he spoke with afterwards didn't like it either. Although, that may represent a minority view. I haven't heard anything else about it, either way. But, it's not like I've gone looking for info either.

One thing that Arroyo complained about was that the choir sang "Give me that ol' time religion" as the Eucharistic hymn. Stravinskas said it was inappropriate and it is not a liturgical hymn, . . . I'm willing to bet more than a few bucks that the issue here is cultural. The people who didn't like it, don't like because of the African American emphasis. I dealt with these issues, and normally there are many different ways people display resistance to black culture in the liturgy and in the Church at large and usually they appeal to tradition, which is the problem!!! the tradition is European! or how shall we say it, er, white? So to say that a black spiritual is not a liturgical hymn is the same thing as appealing to traditon. Well the reason it is not a liturgical hymn is because of racism and the Catholic tradition is racist-no surprise there.

That said, I am surprised by the choice of song for the Eucharist. It's never been one of my favorites, I should add. If I had my pick, I would have suggested "come by here, My Lord" in a slow solemn arrangement. Now, Stravinskas noted that some Bishops complained that there was giggling and stuff. I guess that would be the sullen Bishops' interpretation of the joy of the Lord, but no one ever accused them of being happy. Another thing that was of interest to me, was that it seems that Stravinskas and Arroyo were looking for someone to blame and that some Bishops may be looking for a scapegoat in all this.

When I left the USCCB in March, planning was underway for this Mass. Over the years, I have planned quite a few Masses at the USCCB and you learn a lot of lessons. One key one was the the liturgy Secretariat had to sign off on every, and I mean, every thing. I'm talking liturgy readings, music, aids, artwork, design, environment, breathing space, everything. So I will confess surprise that "Give that ol' time religion" got through sensors. As a planner for these liturgies, you have to consider yourself a choreographer and make sure every single minute move is planned and vetted. The other thing you learn when working with the hierarchy, is that it is all about the feedback. Basically, you want to act so that you do not get negative feedback, otherwise known as complaints. As a result, it means you generally go conservative with your plans, so as not to offend. Also, you simply have to visualize the reaction of everyone involved, especially the Bishops and then move from there. At the end of the day, you feel like you've herded cats across the Great Plains.

The USCCB press release says the music was by the choir of Holy Comforter/st Cyprian Church in Washington DC. They are an excellent choir. I'd really be interested in what others thought about the Mass. Hopefully EWTN will replay it, unless the absolutely consider it anathema.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home