Thursday, January 13, 2005

David of Grace Pages just saw Jesus Christ Superstar.

What to say . . .

I absolutely disgusted that anyone with an ounce of common sense and taste has taken this long to saw the greatest musical ever written. Although, I will confess that I have never seen it on stage. I once got tickets to go see it with a girlfriend at the time, but that never materialized becuase we parted ways. Well, my brother got free tickets. Now, this was not just any traveling band it actually had the Jesus guy from the movie, Ted Neely, and my bro said that this guy was just plain wicked.

" . . . can you tell you tell me now,
that it [his death] would not be in vain
show me just a piece of your omnipresent brain
show me there's reason for your wanting me to die
you're far too keen on when and how, but not so hot on why--------
Alright, just watch me die . . . . "


Jesus in Gethsamane. Always gives me goose bumps.

Julie Andrews was said to have a seven octave range, this Jesus dude, has to be close.

But for all Jesus' great songs, my present favorite is:

"Neither you Simon, nor the fifty thousand, nor the Romans, nor the Jews, nor Judas, nor the twelve, nor the priest nor the scribes, nor Jerusalem, understand what power is . . ."

However, my favorite character and I suspect a favorite of many, is Judas, Carl Anderson, RIP.

I once blogged on the ten best Jesus Christ Superstar songs. Here is the concensus (I determine consensus, so buzz off).

Favorite Jesus Christ Superstar Songs

Ranked in order of superiority

1. Heaven on their minds


My mind is clearer now, at last, all too well I can see where we all soon will be. If you strip away the myth from the man, I can see where we all soon will be.
Jesus-----, you've started to believe the things they say of you, you really do believe the talk about us too. . .

2. Jesus in Gethsemane
"Can you show me now that it would not be in vain
show me just a piece of your omnipotent brain
show me there's a reason for your wanting me to die
I'm all to clear on where and how but not so hot on why
wwwhhhhyyyy!!!

3. Last Supper
"Always hoped that I'd be an apostle
knew that I could make it if I tried
So when we retire, we can write the gospel
so they'll still talk about us when we die"

Judas:"You sad pathetic man
See where you brought us to
Our ideals die around us and all because you . . .

4. Judas with the High Priest asking to turn Jesus in

"think of the things you can do with that money
feed every charity, give to the poor
we've noted yor motives, we've noted your feelings
this is not blood money, it's a . . ."

"A fee. . ." "A fee nothing more"

5 Judas and Jesus when Mary annoints Jesus

"Hey woman that annointment, brand new and expensive, should have been saved for the poor . . ." (The Black Judas sings as he emerges from the shadows)
6 All songs by Caiaphas and Annanias

"We've been seating on the fence for far too long"

7 The trial before Pilate

8 Simon the Zealot and the 50,000

"Christ you know I love, you should see our ways, I believe in you and God, so tell me that I'm saved . . . there must be over fifty thousands, singing love for you, Lord, and everyone of fifty thousand, would do whatever you ask them to. Keep them yelling your devotion, but add a touch of hate at Rome and you will rise to a great power, we will build ourselves a home, you'll get the power and glory . . ." (wild, frenzied dancing)
9 All other songs with the exception of the following (Honorable mention goes to Herod's song)

10 I don't know how to love him (I don't like this and I wish we could go back in time and erase it from memory)
11 Could we start again please (like melody, but don't like the message)
" . . .I think you've made your point now, you've even gone a bit too far to get your message home . . . could we start again please . .."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is so powerful and moving. Some ridicule it for the obvious "hippie" influence but it was written during that time period to help reach the younger generation to come to Christ.

It was and still is (as we said then) far out!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home