Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Pope Says Gay Marriage is Evil: Statement is Part of Secret Plan to Rid Catholic Chruch of Liberals

Via Bad Catholic

Pope calls gay marriage 'ideology of evil'

Homosexual marriages are part of "a new ideology of evil" that is insidiously threatening society, Pope John Paul has said in a new book.

In 'Memory and Identity', the Pope also calls abortion a "legal extermination" comparable to the Holocaust.

He also reveals that he is convinced the Turkish gunman who shot him in 1981 did not act alone and suggests that the former Communist Bloc may have been behind the plot to kill him.

The 84-year-old Pontiff's book, a highly philosophical and intricate work on the nature of good and evil, is based on conversations with philosopher friends in 1993 and later with some of his aides.

In one section about the role of lawmakers, the Pope takes another swipe at gay marriages when he refers to "pressures" on the European Parliament to allow them.

"It is legitimate and necessary to ask oneself if this is not perhaps part of a new ideology of evil, perhaps more insidious and hidden, which attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man," he writes.

The Pope's fifth book for mass circulation, issued by Italian publisher Rizzoli, sparked controversy in Germany and elsewhere after Jewish groups protested against leaked excerpts comparing the Holocaust to abortion.

In at least two sections of the book, the Pope talks about the Nazi attempt to exterminate Jews and the wholesale slaughter of political opponents by Communist regimes after World War Two.

In following paragraphs he says that legally elected parliaments in formerly totalitarian countries were today allowing what he called new forms of evil and new exterminations.

"There is still, however a legal extermination of human beings who have been conceived but not yet born," he writes.

"And this time we are talking about an extermination which has been allowed by nothing less than democratically elected parliaments where one normally hears appeals for the civil progress of society and all humanity," he writes.

In Germany, a leader of the country's Central Council of Jews called the comparison unacceptable.

At a news conference presenting the book, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican's top doctrinal official, dismissed the Jewish charges.

Ratzinger said the Pope "was not trying to put the Holocaust and abortion on the same plane" but only warning that evil lurked everywhere, "even in liberal political systems".

Okay, I'll tread lightly here, I won't call him names or unleash a bubbling stream of profanity his way, out of respect for the office. Obviously I disagree with the Pope. Not only do I disagree with him, I think he is wrong and misguided on this issue. But, not only that, it displays poor pastoral judgment, but wait! There's more. This may be the final straw.

Final straw?! Yes. This is certainly a gauntlet statement. Obviously, knowing liberals, I don't think His Holiness expects that we would drop our tails between our legs and go sit in the corner awaiting instructiions. So obviously, he is pushing liberals to make a choice, stay in the Church or get out.

I think there are three ways liberals will respond.

There are people like me who are liberal Catholics, who could care less what anyone if the Catholic hierarchy says, being that it has absolutely no bearing on our spiritual lives. So we remain unaffected by this further confirmation that our souls have been given over to evil idealogies. So to stay or not to stay remains unaffected by this event.

Then there are those liberals, God bless their souls, saints all of them, who will recognize that this is not an infallible declaration and will seek to remain in dialog with moderates and conservatives. Leaving is not an option for them.

Then there those liberals who will simply up and leave. (Yeah! The conservatives cheer.)

So His Holiness will get his wish for say 5-25% of liberals. This then leaves the remaining 75% of liberals in a very weakened position, especially since the 10% of liberals like me don't care, the dialog liberals will whither down to 65%, almost half strength. It is actually a quite clever plan to rid the Church of liberals.

The Pope's last years have been very interesting, it is almost as though he wants to repudiate the first half of his legacy which was liberal and progressive and establish his latter iron fisted conservative legacy. It is his legacy, so he certainly can do what he wants with it, it is just very difficult to understand what he is trying to accomplish by making such statements as have been reported in this book (of course, besides trying to rid the Church of liberals--sorry, I had my tin foil hat off for a second there).


Post a Comment

<< Home