Monday, April 25, 2005

U. S. Catholics Approve of the Pope

Poll Shows Support for New Pope Despite Views of Church as Out of Touch

An overwhelming majority of American Catholics approves of the selection of Pope Benedict XVI and predicts that he will defend the traditional policies and beliefs of the church, even though many members say that church is out of touch with their views, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The survey found that more than eight in 10 Catholics broadly supported the selection of former German Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger to replace Pope John Paul II.


Wow! This was not supposed to happen!!!! Just kidding. I have a grammar question here, should the verb in the first line be plural, "approves"? I would have said "approve." Same with "predicts," I think I would have said, "predict."

Nearly as many, 73 percent, said they were "enthusiastic" about the new pontiff, although only one in four said they were strongly enthusiastic about the choice.


Thank God for the liberal media. Damn it, if we can't get them to disapprove, at least we can show that "only one in four" is wildly enthused. You can be sure that's the stat I'll be quoting.

If you loved that jab, you'll love the next line:

Those Catholics in favor of modernizing the church were less enthusiastic than traditionalists about the new pontiff, but still gave Benedict XVI majority support.


This confirms that supports of Benedict are regressive. I love the liberal media. (Hey, Fox does it too!)

9 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

I think the American Church is so far removed from the rest of the Church that it WOULD be difficult to find anyone we would be wildly enthusiastic about. I mean, how many U.S. Catholics can even name any of the Cardinals from our own country? Like, "Keeler, George, the guy in Washington, the guy that replaced Bevilacqua, Bevilacqua, what, not the guy up in Boston? But Law, still?"
Now for a moment I will be amused that I AM the most conservative person here. Many other Catholic bloggers are ready to burn me at the stake.....

4:29 PM  
Blogger Ono said...

No, no, no!!!

I am a moderate! Everyone else is either too conservative or too liberal.

Actually, I am liberal and traditional. How's that?

BTW, what's the name of the Cardinal in Detroit?

5:34 PM  
Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Maida.
I come over here to help me keep in balance. They really are ready to burn me at the stake at Open Book. Not Amy, but all those other folks

6:25 PM  
Blogger Talmida said...

You would be wrong, my friend. "An overwhelming majority" is singular. There is only one majority (singular subject), and IT approves and predicts (both singular 3rd person verbs).

I know it sounds wrong, but there you go.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Ono said...

It's the "American Catholics" part that is giving it that plural feel. I hate sentences like that or like when I hear then say "Attorneys General" on NPR, you feel like it should be "Attorney Generals."

12:23 AM  
Blogger Talmida said...

oh i know!! We get it here with Governors and Lieutenants General.

The ones that always get me are Any and None....None of them.....is that S or P? Any of us....S or P?

No candidates are available.
None of the candidates is available.

It doesn't make....oh hang on...I can see it right now. None is not-one.....well duh, how stupid am I.

LOL

*Miss Emily Litella voice*

Never mind.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Ono said...

Actually, the "none of the candidates is available" helps me with my "overwhelming majority of American Catholics" problem. "None" as with "overwhleming majority" require singular verbs.

Is Hebrew any easier?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Steve Bogner said...

Ambrose - I stopped reading/commenting at Open Book about a year ago. It was getting hazardous to my spiritual health ;) The rhetoric and bombastic style in the comments there just got to be too unreasonable (for me).

Then I came across these people like Ono and Talmida and several others who have proven to be much more pleasant and rewarding company.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Talmida said...

Ono, the ancient Hebrews seem to have been a lot more flexible about things like number and gender...

The word for God, Elohim, is the plural for gods...sometimes it takes a plural verb, sometimes a singular -- at my stage of learning, it's still pretty much hit and miss!!

:-D

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home