Saturday, August 10, 2002

I watched Pear Harbor last nite. What do I think? It had moderate entertainment value and not much else. The story was trite, or so I thought, the bombing scene was somewhat exciting but not spectacular.

I think they tried to do too much in one movie and ended up doing little if anything at all. The relationship between Ben Affleck's guy and the lady was without sufficient development. And then each progressive twist was trite and uninspiring and over complicated for such a basic story.

Also lacking development was the war history itself, the Japanese show up late in the movie, not much is said about the what the administration was doing behind the scenese, etc.

As far as post-Saving Private Ryan war movies go, it is not worth your money. One thing, however, that it did do for me was that it makes me want to do more reading on that war. I know Pearl Harbor was a surprise, but I think the Navy came across looking like a bungling mess of sorry excuses for soldiers and I don't think the movie did them justice.

I'd appreciate any good book ideas on WWII, especially the Pearl Harbor, Japan-American-Pacific conflict.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home