Friday, October 04, 2002

Musings blog speaks about being men being effeminate, especially in the seminary.

I did not read the posting too closely but I approach it with a yellow flag of caution. My issue has less to do with effeminate men and more to do with a system that seems to attract certain kind of men (and this has been an issue for a very long time).

I know, of course, that this article is in line with the conservative cry that this is what is precisely wrong with our seminaries, get the effeminate and gays out and the priesthood will be saved. I say leave the gays alone, energy would be best expended directed at structures regarding the priesthood. Actually the post I refer to is more nuanced than that, but I rant . . .

I guess, I get prickly when I hear people talk about men and women and the ontological composition or status of each gender. The bottom line is that we don't know what the truth is about men and women and all we can do is speak tentatively and cautiously about what we observe regarding the sexes. i am one of those who believes that we, more sense truth, than know it and articulate it, so we do well to refrain from pronouncing definite metaphysical judgments, in this case about men and women, and what is proper to each ontologically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home