Tuesday, October 15, 2002

One interesting thing I note in watching Star Trek, especially Voyager, is the not-so-subtle comparisons between the Borg and s starship. Both have a captain who gives direction, both have a crew that carries out the directives of the captain, both seek perfection and knowledge. But the kicker is how they go about doing this.

The borg model is definitely convenient, because everyone is forced into the hive mind and there is ostensible unity in purpose and action. The individual becomes absorbed into the whole for the sake of the whole. The human model is muddled and ineffecient. Competeing egos seek self interest, the whole at any time may be undermined by the individual and the individual only seeks the good of the whole out of self interest but motivated by love and respect for the other individuals and the whole. That is the human way.

I note this because whenever we see uniformity in thought and action, the absence of chaos and disorder, a dominating central command which obliterates individuality, we need to be wary because this is not human. If the post-Vatican II Church suffers chaos and disorder as opposed to a pre-Vatican II situation, it is because it is only know allowing its humanity free reign.

At the present time I can make my daughter do what I want, but I am resigned to the fact that at some point, she'll do what she wants and not what I want. And then the only time I can get her to do what I want is if I inspire a love and respect of me in her so that she'll consider my interests in her decisions. That's somehwat chaotic, not orderly but it is human. This is where the Catholic Church has to go and is going, to a land where it can no longer impose. Rather to lead, it must inspire love and respect among its followers. It is only in the disorder and lack of uniformity that ensues, will it find a higher level of order that emerges (not imposed) by love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home