Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Point of Christianity

I am obsessed with this notion of the point of Christianity. I have some thoughts that I hope to put down in book form. But there are the verses that guide me:

Ecclesiastes 12:13,14

13: Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14: For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.


And then there's this in James 1:26,27

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.


Simple and straightforward, isn't it. This is why I sometimes scoff at that Church's mascinations because the point is not to be good Catholics, but good Christians as defined by these verses. I respect the Church's religious impulse, but when they become more important than the point of Christianity itself, "Houston, we have a problem."

To cap those verse off, here is how an angel summarizes the point of our existence:

Revelations 19: 9,10

9: And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
10: And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.


and then Revelations 22: 8,9

8: And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. 9: Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.


And then here's what Newman has to say:

In this, then, consists our whole duty, first in contemplating Almighty God, as in Heaven, so in our hearts and souls; and next, while we contemplate Him, in acting towards and for Him in the works of every day; in viewing by faith His glory without and within us, and in acknowledging it by our obedience. Thus we shall unite conceptions the most lofty concerning His majesty and bounty towards us, with the most lowly, minute, and unostentatious service to Him.


Does Newman nail it or what?

2 Comments:

Blogger Talmida said...

Newman hit it on the head, Ono. I needed to read this today, thanks!

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ono, I just started a new blog which I hope will show that Christian bloggers can write ugly blogs about various topics without always
preaching or arguing. Anyway, I've been looking around for Christian blog related blogs and I found this entry (The Point of Christianity) during my search so I
thought I'd make a quick post to let you know! I'd be happy to trade links if you're interested. Have a great day - Eric

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home