Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Roemer v Lugar?

Via Dkos

It appears that Tim Roemer is considering a run against Senator Lugar for the IN Senate seat. The subplot here is that Roemer is a moderate Democrat and a pro-life Democrat and gained national recognition as a member of the 9-11 commission. Roemer also ran for the DNC Chair seat and lost to Loud mouth Dean.

I don't think Roemer stands a chance, but it is intriguing. Roemer could make it something of race and one more thing for Republicans to worry about. Bush won Indiana 60-40, making the Hoosier state the Mississippi of the north. BTW, the KKK has its roots in Indiana. Got to say that I've never been there save, Southbend, which I really like. Beyond Southbend, I avoid Indiana, like the plague. Sort'a scares me. I imagine there are a few moderate and even liberal enclaves scattered around the state, but 60% red is not an encouraging number. These are Utah, Alabama and Mississippi numbers.

Anyway, my point is that Evan Byah, Democratic Senator from IN won 62% of the vote so there is hope for a Moderate Democrat. By and large, Roemer running and getting elected would be a positive. My only hesitation is that we do not want another Joe Liebermann (who needs to go). Bayh is moderate, but he is partisan enough to pass muster. As for Roemer, the jury is out on him regarding his desire to be sufficiently partisan in the current DC climate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Why won't Evan Bayh ever run? He's been the next big thing to come since I got my inaugural issue of George Magazine!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Ono said...

For president?

He is planning a 2008 run. I suspect he'll run into the same problem moderates run into. The primaries are the raw meat periods and you are forced to give account of your deeds before the party faithful. This is why McCain will never ever get through the primary vetting period, because he is not seen as partisan enough.

Bayh, in the past few months, has been positioning himself as partisan and acceptable to the party faithful. I still don't see it happening. The liberal wing of the party is not happy about the center-shift of the party. Also Bayh is not an engaging person. Then there's Clinton, Kerry and Edwards and probably Mark Warner of Virginia.

Clinton will be a force. I personally think Kerry will get the nomination. It would be very difficult for anyone to compete with that name recognition. The other thing is that it is not clear that Bayh can win in the South. So he holds no particular advantage for Democrats because he can't deliver his state either.

I suppose its no secret that I am rooting for Kerry. I think Bayh should remain Senator, that way we do not surrender the seat to the Republicans.

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home