Friday, October 18, 2002

I am conflicted on the use of the divine name, YHWH. I know a priest who is furious that we use the divine name, given that Israel was instructed not to utter it in vain and as a result they didn't utter it at all as a matter of course. They revered the name so much that in the first century Jewish scripture translators would wash every time they wrote the name.

Now, I know that this is not a big deal to many, but it is to me because I am very much an Old Testament (Hebrew Scripture) person. I utter the divine name bcause it cannot be avoided, but I never feel good doing it.

BTW, what I mean by "I am Old Testament person" is that I believe that the Hebrew Scriptures are not primarily symbolic and for our use, that is secondary. Rather, I think that it is an honest account of true experiences of God. And so if God did or did not like things in the Old Testament, He really does or doesn't. So if there was or should have been trepidation in uttering the divine name, then, we ought to pay heed to that, somehow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home