Tuesday, October 29, 2002

I am so confused about what to do about NaNoWriMoxyz . . ., at first I had planned to do a story about WYD and an assasination attempt. I was at WYD 2002 and so my mind was working up a story line. I was fortunate to have some access to behind the scenes stuff, so there was a story brewing. But . . . I'm not convinced it is easily 50, 000 words. I can make it 50, 000 words but it would require serious research and the Nano thing doesn't allow for the luxury of serious research based writing, unless of course, you were prepared aforehand.

I then decided that I was going to convert a short story I had to a full length story, but that is not going to yeild even close to 50,000 words. I had also considered modifying another story but, still, that was 5,000 words, tops.

Then there was a new story I have been working on that seems very promising. I had written three chapters but then decided to wait for the Nanomonth and complete it. And this is my best option, but . . . the story is quite adventurous and may not be my most wholesome work. I wanted to write something that reveals the issue of how people appear normal on the surface but their histories reveal terrible traumatic events that have shaped them. So basically, all four protagonists in this story have major issues, but they all are very, very likeable (in fact if you don't like anyone of them, you may be eligible for a refund.). So? You ask.

Well. last night I was laying down with my little girl and i realized that there really isn't too much fiction/fantsy out there for a young black girl to latch onto and identify with. And if anything, as a writer, I could and should fill that gap.

I then became sensitive to the role of black women/girls in my stories. In one that is complete and needed just a few touches, the black women are portrayed positively, but the one who she may most likely identify with wasn't as fully developed as desired. So I have tossed some ideas around for development and they are promising. In fact in most of my stories, the black women were all positively portrayed but inexplicably underdeveloped and so I have ideas to develop them.

However, there is one short story that I just completed. The people are generic.
In the most recent story I am working on with four neurotic people, I am now concerned at the negative imagery and the morality of what I am wiriting. It's like, all of a sudden, I got a conscience. Now, I'm plagued with questions of, should I only write things that my daughters would be proud of and that would contribute to their sound development? Probably not, but there would have to be more good stuff than unhealthy stuff.

So now I'm tossing around ideas for Nano about the adventures of a young girl. Obviously, that young girl would be someone my little girl could identify with. But can such a story reach the 50,000 word plateau. I don't know, but I'll find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home