Friday, March 07, 2003

Ash wednesday is always interesting for me as is Good Friday and other mandatory fasting days. I find that the food calculus is too overwhelming for me: one full meal and two small meals which add up to a full meal, is what is asked of us.

But what about snacks?

Are two snacks equivalent to a small meal? My more immediate question was, would 9 cookies count as an augmented snack or a small meal? What is the threshold for a full meal? Is it satisfaction or is it the knowledge that I could have comfortably chowed down two more chesse burgers and another small fry and still have space for two apple pies for a buck?

My wife says that I am missing the point, the point is to fast as a spiritual exercise and not to obsess about food. I guess there's a lesson there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home