Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Nathan of Fides, Spes,Caritas blog is suspending his Catholic status while he searches for the perfect Church fit. Fair enough. I'm not one to pull rank on age, especially since Job 32:6-10 ranks as one of my favorites:

[6] And Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite answered and said, I am young, and ye are very old; wherefore I was afraid, and durst not shew you mine opinion.
[7] I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom.
[8] But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
[9] Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.
[10] Therefore I said, Hearken to me; I also will shew mine opinion.


But I hesitate when 22 year olds speak so definitively about stuff. I am good decade beyond that age and more (34/5). I was one of those types who worked and was a college freshman at 27. However, if ten years before that, anyone would have asked where I'd be at 27, my vision knew no bounds, definitely not a college freshman. As a late teenager or in one's early twenties, 25 is life's twilight, and thirty is downright ancient. However, I would say that I was always one of those types who looked forward to the aging process.

Point is, rest assured, at 22 you are not going to find any definitive answers. To be or not to be Catholic or anything for that matter is not a summer investigation-conclude-with-recommendations-by-fall question. You cannot possibly find any life-definitive answers now. We all change, everything must change.

As for Churches, finding the true Church means nothing because ultimately it is not the Church that will stand before God to give account of a life, but the individual. Here is what it all boils down to:

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

[13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
[14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.


So there question is not where is the true Church, but in which Church can I fear God and keep his commandments? Truth be told, a good deal many Churchs would work for this purpose. They all have strengths, they all have weaknesses. It's about what's important to you and what's not important. Basically it's all fubar and like Socrates said, "Whatever you do, you'll regret it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home