Tuesday, July 02, 2002

I received this response to my earlier tirade against Scalia, Thomas and Rehnquist.

Greetings -- always glad to see another thoughtful Catholic blog. I disagree
with you, though, on your complaint about the lack of "compassion" displayed
by Justices Scalia and Thomas in the Atkins decision. In my view, though I
oppose the death penalty, the Atkins decision, like all constitutional
decisions, is not supposed to be about "compassion," but about the content of
certain legal texts. What might appear to be the "compassion" of the
majority's ruling is really lawlessness. Let's urge our legislators to ban
the death penalty; but let's not praise judges for usurping our power.

Anyway -- random thoughts from a law geek.


I withhold the name just in case he didn't want it revealed. Suffice it to say the person is from Notre Dame's law school and as I practice, I don't question or get into debates with people from Notre Dame law school. Chances are they are much smarter than I am.

Why are domers so darn crazy about their school?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home