Thursday, September 11, 2003

There is word that Dean is trying to draft Gen Clark as his VP. Here are my comments on that.

I actually wish that General Clark would join Dean. First, I'm not as enarmoured with the electability and presidential potential of the General as most are. I like him a great deal and watched him faithfully on CNN and I think he has a ton of class. But if he runs, he would hurt Kerry more than Dean, because Keryy has certainly gone the military route in his campaign and now someone with a deeper military record would jeopardize that. Also, General Clark has zero domestic experience and his candidacy is a reactive, responsive candidacy, much like Dean's.

My attraction to Kerry is his vision. He wants to take America somewhere, not just react to present leadership or lack thereof. This, I believe is Dean's weakness too. Dean is reacting, but unlike Edwards and Kerry, does not have a postiive future vision for America.

If Clark joins Dean, then the other candidates would be forced to pick running mates. I think this would consolidate and weed out the field. Gephardt and Edwards would not join because they are too similar and are fighting for the same base. However, Edwards may join Kerry because he provides the Southern angle for Kerry. They both were tough lawyers, one a defensive guy, the other a prosecutor, so that is powerful. Also, the under-the-radar story of this primary is that Black voters lean more to Edwards than anyone else because he is the second coming of Clinton and because of his Share cropper roots. I think a Kerry-Edwards team would have the funds and the appeal to blow the others out of the water, even Dean-Clark.

If all this happens, then Graham and Braun and Kucinich will most likely drop out, clearing out the field for more solid debates.

Another disadvantage for Dean-Clark is that Dean's far left base would not be as comfortable with Clarks moderate appeal especially on Guns, etc. Also note that the Draft CLark movement is bi-partisanm, so the Republicans in that movement may be put off by Dean.

I am actually encouraged by this Dean-Clark thing. I hope it happens, because it may just be the turning point for Kerry in creating a juggernaut.

I'm not discounting the Dean-Clark appeal, it is just that strategically it is not a great move.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home