Monday, November 08, 2004

My favorite pieces of music change from time to time, depending on where I am in life and all that.

By far, Handel's Messiah is unsurpassed, (I've had quite a few versions in the past and the only two that get an A grade are Bernsteins, mad genius-he speeds everything up and it works and Sir Colin Davis.)

Quincy Jone's Soulfoul Messiah, is as compelling, but it is not the original, nuff said. QJ is unbelievable, too bad he didn't translate the whole thing.

Mendelssohn's "Hear my prayer" (I haven't heard it in German, in fact I just found out it was originally written in German. But German and English are equally harsh, so I imagine I'd like the original just as well). One word: haunting. As is usually the case, everything depends on the singer and arrangement.

Anything by Andre Crouch. At the present time it is "Tell Them" from his Live in London CD.

"One Hundred Ways" James Ingram

Miles Davis, "Someday, My Prince will Come"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home