Friday, February 11, 2005

B B King and Nora Jones on Sesame Street

I can't say that I am a fan of Nora Jones. I like her music and am impressed that she is part of the new kick butt brigade of young women artists who write their music and play instruments. I've watched her perform on a few shows and heard her songs on the radio. She's got good stuff.

I often wonder if her music indicates that she is an unhappy person. The reason I wonder is, of course, the mood of her music, which is very low key and sad-dish. Also she had an appearance on Sesame Street a while back. The letter of the day was Y and in the melody of "Don't Know Why" she was singing, "Don't know why Y didn't come." It was actually very cute. And then at the end of the piece Y showed up and she goes, "Y! You made it!" But it seemed forced and that she wasn't really excited about Y actually making it and I just wondered if she was an unhappy person.

On the other hand, BB King was with a bunch of Sesame Street puppets singing the Alphabet song and he was rocking and rolling. He just seemed to be having loads of fun. Patti Labelle was also on singing another Alphabet song and she is a bundle of energy, she seemed to be having fun.

Then, my favorite was when Marilyn Horn sang "C is for Cookie" Opera style. I imagine this was very popular. There is even a webpage devoted to this performance, with lyrics and descriptions of the performance. It was a riot. I think you have to have watched the original with Cookie Monster to really appreciate it.

A round cookie with one bite out of it
Looks like a C.
A round pita bread with one big bite out of it
Also looks like a C,
But it's not as good as a cookie.
Oh...
And the moon sometimes looks like a C,
Yes the moon sometimes looks like a C,
But you can't eat that, SO...

C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Oh, cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C


Another notable performace was Aaron Neville with Ernie, "I don't want to live on the moon." The problem with Neville is that there is so much soul in his voice that it seems wrong to have him sing alongside a puppet. He also sings the intro for a series of videos with Fisher Price's Little People and again, for something so "trivial" boy does he pack in a lot of soul. One other Sesame street performance, I remember is Billy Joel. It was ok.

So what was the point of this post . . . Oh. With all these performances, these musicians are entertainers and they certainly got into character and seemed like happy energetic people with the exception of Nora Jones, who I wonder if it's just her personality. Who knows?

1 Comments:

Blogger Talmida said...

ooo! these new comment boxes are so cool! ;-)

I used to love watching Sesame Street with my kids. I appreciated that there was so much humour directed at adults, so that you wouldn't be bored watching WITH your kids: Placido Flamingo, Bernardo Birdolucci, and Sam the Bald Eagle? Those jokes were not directed at kids. Do you remember the tv show "thirty-something"? Sesame St. had a spoof with The Count counting "20-something, 21-something, 22-something, ..." And Monsterpiece Theatre? Hosted by Alistair Cookie?

*sniff sniff*

I'm getting all nostalgic now!

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home