Friday, April 01, 2005

Towards St Terri Schaivo

I was reading the Washington Post's coverage on the Terri Schaivo matter when I came across this dousy:

The political drama swirling over Schiavo -- who died three days before her husband's birthday -- was matched by the religious passions her case stirred. The Vatican took a particular interest, issuing statements that narrowed the range of acceptable conditions under which a Catholic can stop tube-feeding. After Schiavo's death Thursday, Jose Saraiva Martins -- head of the Vatican's office for sainthood -- called the removal of Schiavo's feeding tube "an attack on God."


The Vatican's saint guy is already paving the way and isn't it fascinating that a response would come from him? Especially since he is an unknown and relatively obscure figure runing a non-major dicastry?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have so got to be kidding.

Okay, I don't mean you personally, but this takes the cake. First they scrambled around madly to find a verifiable miracle so that Mother Teresa could be canonized, and waiving the five-year wait was seriously discussed. Now there are hints of sainthood for Terri Schiavo?

Please. The whole point behind all those hoops is to emphasize that recognizable sainthood is RARE. Just being a "good person" doesn't cut it and just dying in a manner the Church finds horrific -- no matter what anyone says Terri was not martyred -- doesn't make anyone a saint.

*shakes head*

Catherine
http://cathcoll.net

2:44 PM  
Blogger James said...

I have to say, watching the Terri Schiavo coverage on our esteemed cable networks was a revelation to me. In the first few days, I couldn't believe the things that purportedly religious people were saying. Then I read an interview with Father John Paris, SJ, at Boston College, who laid out the moral choices in the way I recognized from my education at a Jesuit college a few years ago. Well, a lot of years ago. This was the tough-minded but balanced view that I remembered.

Then I heard from Father Pavone, and the other priests who sounded indistinuguishable to me from the fundamentalist viewpoints that would have been declared heretical, or at least in error, when I was a kid.

I am a fallen-away, or lapsed Catholic. I've always felt a regard for my former faith, but this is all news to me. Are these forces in the Church more powerful now? I'm appalled. Where have they come from? Are they growing? Is this in the United States, or are these teachings powerful the world round?

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just did a Google search on "sainthood for Terri Schiavo" and this was the one and only web site that showed up.

That's sad. When a disabled Catholic woman is put to death for being disabled, and the majority in the news media says there is nothing wrong with this Nazi-like act, you can be sure a new age of martyrs-- a new Holocaust--- is upon us.

As a disabled woman, I just wonder how functional I need to be in order to be allowed food, water and routine medical treatment.

Terri Schiavo, martyr, pray for us all.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home