Monday, December 23, 2002

I watched Dr. Bob Jones III on Larry King Live on Friday. I cringed or should I say, I crunge. He was a charismatic engaging personality who claims that the love of Jesus so fills Bob Jones University campus and that there is racial love and harmony, the likes of which have never been seen since the beginning of the world.

I wonder where that love of Jesus was a few years ago when they banned interracial dating. In fact it wasn't the love of Jesus that made them change their mind, it was legal and political pressure.

FYI-until 1967, interracial marriages where against the law in most states. It was not until a supreme court case in 1967 between the State of Virginia and a Virginian couple that the law was challenged. South Carolina, Alabama and I think Mississippi just overurned their state bans on interracial marriage in the past three years, but the margins were relatively slim. The referrendums were something like 63-35percent, for and against overturning the ban. If I'm correct one of these states has held out and may still have the ban on the books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home